All of us at Champions for Children know that supporting children can’t be done without supporting families. Parents experience immense joy as they raise their children but also, at times, lots of stress. Many times this stress is from issues like finances, health issues or other current challenges. Other times the stress is from past trauma the parent has experienced.
We know that many men and women are survivors of sexual abuse or assault in their lifetimes. Even when the survivor has resolved these issues and is doing well, there are times when past concerns can resurface. When this happens, it can take a serious toll on the survivor’s mental and emotional well-being and, by extension, that of their children. Part of our goal at Champions is to break the cycle of generational trauma by helping parents manage their past and present stress so they can avoid passing it onto their children.
We have all been hearing a lot on social media and the news about public figures being accused or convicted of sexual assault. There have also been several trusted adults like teachers and coaches accused of inappropriate behavior with children. Hearing news like this can raise old issues for survivors of sexual assault and bring back old feelings. This can cause stress for parents who have their own history of trauma. It’s very important that parents take care of themselves so they can be the best self- and parent- they can be. Here are a few tips for self-care:
- • Limit exposure to distressing topics on the news and in social media.
- • Take care of your body by eating healthy foods and getting exercise. (I was going to say to get enough sleep, but I know that can be almost impossible at times for parents!)
- • Take time to relax and do things you enjoy
- • Value relationships– spend time with people who love and support you
- • Practice gratitude– it helps to focus on all of the positive things in your life
- • Reach out for professional help if needed
Champions for Children is here to support parents and caregivers. Whatever you may need in order to be successful at raising your child, we are here. Please let us know how we can help!