UPDATED: April 2, 2020
DISCLAIMER: With circumstances around COVID-19 changing frequently, Champions’ response will evolve. Please check back periodically for the latest updates and bear with us as we work to provide the most current information.
Champions for Children recognizes that with the increasingly restrictive measures being taken to prevent COVID-19 come heightened stress and risk factors for the families we serve. Social isolation, limited access to resources, financial strain, and other types of domestic stress – even in the short-term – can have long-lasting impacts on children and families. Throughout this crisis, we are here to help families stay strong and healthy to avoid negative outcomes.
As always, our top priority is the health and safety of our community. We are monitoring the situation and complying with all recommendations from local, state, and federal officials. Additionally, we are working hard to keep as many of our existing services available as possible and to temporarily implement special new/modified services to best serve families during this difficult time.
The following program changes are in effect until further notice; Check each program’s Facebook Page for specific up-to-date information:
- The ABC Program is providing individual lactation consultations by phone/video chat for all families, and delivering pre-/peri-natal educational group sessions using a telehealth model. One-on-one in-person consultations are currently available on an as-needed basis only.
- The Family Learning Center at DACCO continues to deliver parenting services as normal until further notice, however the Early Head Start center is closed.
- FRANC and Positive Parenting Partnership (P3) are continuing virtually with all adult sessions. Child watch will not be available until further notice.
- Healthy Families and Parents as Teachers home visiting programs are using a telehealth model by providing services via phone and video chat. Group Connections will not take place for the time being. We will provide a subsequent update if we are able to conduct them virtually.
- Baby Bungalow, Growing Up Great in Town & Country and Layla’s House staff are available to support families individually via a telehealth model, and are working toward providing some playgroups/classes virtually (an update will be posted at that time)
- Champions staff are calling families individually to assess their needs and facilitate connections to appropriate resources.
- We are working to distribute our inventory of diapers to families in need who are unable to afford them.
- Kids on the Block performances have been discontinued until Hillsborough County Schools reopen, however staff short helpful presentations for families have been developed and will be shared in the coming days and weeks across social media.
- Children’s Board Family Resource Centers have closed until at least March 31st.
Families should contact individual programs directly with specific questions or visit their Facebook Pages.
- “Family fun” events such as P3’s Spring Fling, Layla’s House Egg Hunt Celebration, and Family Zoo Day will be cancelled/postponed.
- The 2nd Annual Champions for Children Inshore Fishing Classic scheduled for April 2nd and 3rd will be rescheduled to Fall 2020.
- The Champions Luncheon scheduled for April 29th will be canceled for this year.
Our mission to help families build protective factors in order to keep children safe is critical during this time of heightened stress and social isolation. Please let us know how we can be here for you, your family, and the community we all share. If you are someone who has resources to share and wishes to provide urgent support, we are deeply grateful for your helping hand.
If you have questions, please contact Jonathan Goodman email@example.com.